Electric Vehicles - The Future

Dazbobaby
PSN Username: dazbobaby
Xbox Username: Don Mulleano

Unread post Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:48 am

The ICE (internal combustion engine) cut-off date is 2040, 21 years away.
While it sounds and is a long way off, it gives car makers, home owners, vehicle owners, battery makers and inventors all get up to speed... pardon the pun.

Currently if everyone had an EV today then it'd be chaos, the charging and the entire electricity infrastructure isn't ready, but in 21 years time it will be, and it had better be.

Some of the ways we are moving forward are energy storage, such as home storage batteries like the Tesla power wall and large scale like the Australian gigawatt storage.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-42190358

Now storage is all well and good, but getting the power distribution right is also as important, Qualcomm are currently working on inductive charging while you drive.

But to be honest, this is probably only a short term issue, once battery technology improves, and it will, then this system will almost certainly become redundant, but still it's an awesome idea, imagine if you will being stuck at traffic lights, but while you're there you're getting a free charge. It may not be much, it might only add a mile or two to the overall distance you can go, but a sequence of these could seriously stack up.

Plus of course there's the lamppost chargers for those unable to charge at home because they don't have a driveway.

Yet another way of charging and storing energy is pavegen, you can charge up just by walking around you town centre.

While the current feed-in tarrif is about to end and home electricity generation will no longer be profitable, it doesn't mean owning photo voltaics is useless, it's still cheaper than it was 5 years ago, generates more power and along with a power wall of some description will still benefit long term. So then add into the mix an electric car and you could charge it and run it even less than it costs today.

The future will only see more innovation and reduced costs to owning, charging and using an EV. Love them or hate them, EV's are coming.

And of course if you're the kind that likes to cycle instead of drive, but you're getting on a bit... then there's the option of an e-bike. With up to 60 miles range and a lot easier to ride, faster and possibly safer all round, (you're not slowing down traffic and causing road rage). I have a Carrera Crossfire-E and it's amazing. Even in a very hilly town like Halifax I can climb any hill without stopping. Not bad for a near 50 year old with 35 years of smoking congesting my lungs.
https://the-bionic-cyclist.co.uk/2017/0 ... ke-review/
You exchange your time for money when you work. You can always make more money. You cannot make more time.
From Hull, from Halifax, from Hell, ‘tis thus, From all these three, Good Lord deliver us.
Dazbobaby

Unread post Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:38 pm

I'm sorted for my next (2) cars, now all I need is a little help from the Lottery.

I said things are only getting better.. but wow, just wow.
https://products.rivian.com/
https://products.rivian.com/suv/
You exchange your time for money when you work. You can always make more money. You cannot make more time.
From Hull, from Halifax, from Hell, ‘tis thus, From all these three, Good Lord deliver us.
theENIGMATRON
Server Master
Xbox Username:

Unread post Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:25 am

Ahhh but could it all collapse.
All it takes is something to push Lithium in the dark ages and bring a new metal to store power.
And its needed Lithium aint changed in 100's of years.

Once Lithium is replaced, and a smaller ligher and more energy can be stored, then we are moving into the future.

At the moment, to me it feels we are moving with stone age technically.
Replacing a Horse and Charrage with Horses that eat mico cost effective pellets instead of pricey food. Apposed to just replacing the horse... (As my example lol)
Last edited by theENIGMATRON on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dazbobaby

Unread post Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:50 pm

theENIGMATRON wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:25 am
Ahhh but could it all collapse.
All it takes is something to push Lithium in the dark ages and bring a new metal to store power.
And its needed Lithium aint changed in 100's of years.

Once Lithium is replaced, and a smaller ligher and more energy can be stored, then we are moving into the future.

At the moment, to me it feels we are moving with stone age technically.
Replacing a Horse and Charrage with Horses that eat mico cost effective pellets instead of pricey food. Apposed to just replacing the horse... (As my example lol)
Lithium probably will be the chemical used for the next few years at least, lithium and cobalt. There's too much money and research gone into lithium for it to go away any time soon. The next battery technology will probably be carbon nano, but that's still a long way off.
The amount of lithium in a battery is actually tiny, cobalt is around 70% and lithium 5%.

That said, the Tesla gigafactory can apparently swap technologies at short notice, and they think they can produce batteries without cobalt very soon.