You've got to love USB-C

Dazbobaby
PSN Username: dazbobaby
Xbox Username: Don Mulleano
Loading…

Unread post Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:32 pm

It's slowly becoming the default port of choice, not only is it REALLY REALLY fast (10gigabits or roughly 1000-1200megabytes per second), twice as fast as USB 3, it can carry enough power to use and charge a laptop and at the same time, that one cable can also work as a display cable for connecting a laptop or even a desktop to a monitor.

My last mobo now 3 years old, has USB C but I never used it, I didn't have any devices that could use it, not until I bought a GoPro Hero 5 or is it 6? And only then when I needed to transfer the files across or charge the gopro.

Then I bought a monitor that supports USB-C and for shits and giggles I plugged in into my new RTX 2070. My new Mobo doesn't have USB-C but my GPU does. Technically the mobo does have it, but it's a header only.

So I also connected a spare 250GB SSD (I still have one spare SSD... I mean how many SSD's does a guy need? In total I have 4 x M.2 and 6 x 2.5 inch of various sizes). It was connected to the monitor via USB 3, the USB-C goes to my GPU and the drive just worked. It was right there in my computer working just fine, I mean talk about a round-about way.

SSD to monitor, monitor to GPU, GPU to PC.

One day USB-C will be as ubiquitous as USB 1, 2, and 3 is today... but that day can't come soon enough
:)
From Hull, from Halifax, from Hell, ‘tis thus, From all these three, Good Lord deliver us