Nintendo Switch Questions

ImageImageImage
Dazbobaby
PSN Username: dazbobaby
Xbox Username: Don Mulleano

Unread post Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:38 pm

Can it be jailbroken? I see a lot of posts about v7.0.0 and you should not go any higher.
Does it have multimedia support? Does it play music, Netflix, amazon prime etc?
Is it simply just a games console?
How long does the battery last on the screen?
How big an SSD does it take?

What're the best games to get with it, Super Mario Bros/SM kart? Super Smash Bros, Zelda, Donkey Kong? I'm not huge on RPG so Zelda is at the bottom of this list.
You exchange your time for money when you work. You can always make more money. You cannot make more time.
From Hull, from Halifax, from Hell, ‘tis thus, From all these three, Good Lord deliver us.
theENIGMATRON
Server Master
Xbox Username:

Unread post Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:45 am

I read up on this before i got the Switch,
Yes it can be jailbroken, there are a few methods but all seem pretty simple.

For me its no different from Rooting a phone (So i will avoid using the term jailbreaking)

It being like a phone, means its very good, there is no eFUSE meaning you can restore it back to the original state and no one would be any of the wiser.
eFUSE on Samsung phones mean when the bootloader is tampered with the fuse blows, It causes no harm to the device, but there is no way to undo this as the fuse is blown and they know the device has been tamperer with.
Samsung then disabled various features as it checks KNOX status (Efuse) If its blown then Samsung Pay etc cannot be used.

Anyway back on topic. Yes it can be Rooted / Modded and restored.
You can create something called a Nandroid backup, An this in another term is essentially a Ghost image and its stored onto the SD Card.
You can restore it back to this state. A plus side from this, as like on my phone, i have 5 different Nandroid backups so i can restore my device to Various OS versions.
This means you could make a Nandroid backup of your Rooted / Jailbroken Console and then restore it to its original to go online, and then restore the jailbroken version to use modded / emulators again.

Dont ask me specifics on modding it, as i aint overly interested and i have not read much into it, i just skim read it and as its Horizon it uses ALOT of android components so the terminology is all the same.
Mine was on Version 7, but i updated it straight away. I aint fussed.

It has Multiplayer, i think its something like £18 for the year. Not seen any Netflix or other Streaming services, it does not have a browser.
Dont know if it will ever come, But its more of a gaming machine than Media.

Its a game console, that you can take around and play portable or dock it and get the full screen experience.

I had the device on 79% last night. I played 3 games of Rocket League, and completed 2 shrines on Zelda (maybe about 40 mins to a hour on that) And downloaded Tetris and just launched a few other games.
I have played 5 games of rocket league this morning before work, and launched Zelda and started walking around for maybe about 10 minutes.
My battery is on: 58%

The battery life is good, Compared to a mobile its great, Its not going to last hours and hour and hours. But it sure will get you some decent play time.
Maybe @InfiniteStates or @SyM can comment more about battery life with having abit more hands on it than me.

No limited on SD, i hard a company is making a 1T SD and the Switch should accept it. I dont think its viable for the price and the read write, But i understand now SD and OS have taken a turn and now do a complete write Cycle apposed to in sectors meaning a SD card for example may have 32000 Read / Write Cycles so it has to start and finish on each block for a cycle to finish making them last much longer than in previous cases (Ive had quiet a few fail on me over time you see on my phone, so it makes me about unsure)
But am sure i read and @InfiniteStates said you could have 4 128GB card with different games installed on them, and swap them out as and when you want to play other games.

Honest you dont need to like RPG to play Zelda, they have taken a massive turn on this game, and while used to be Dungeon based, its more all Mini Dungeons and all about various puzzles in a massive Open world environment. I would be putting this game on the top of your list!!

Zelda and Mario games are a Must and defo some Mario Kart! Good fun for solo or friends round for multiplayer.
Some games considering and upcoming releases.

Darkeners,
Assassin Creed
Skyrim
Yoshi
Mario Maker (Its the Original Mario game from Snes or something, but level editor and player!!!)

I aint looked massive into the games, Just a few ive wanted to play. But the Mario Odyssey looks epic

You considering one are you Daz?
theENIGMATRON
Server Master
Xbox Username:

Unread post Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:55 am

Dazbobaby

Unread post Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:58 am

I've thought about getting one for a while... and the retro store games were always an excellent way to get some old time SNES.
I was blown away (even though it's only 720P) by Zelda Breath of the wild, it looks amazing. Then there's the new Zelda remaster... Even though I'm not into RPG, we'll technically The Division is an RPG at heart, Ashen and Dungeon Defenders and then these two Zelda games kind of make me want one.

Plus there's always the point that Nintendo have always been about fun and family friendly as much as possible.

I've said it before somewhere, my tastes are changing dramatically, and I've certainly moved on from FPS to something more relaxed and fun.
You exchange your time for money when you work. You can always make more money. You cannot make more time.
From Hull, from Halifax, from Hell, ‘tis thus, From all these three, Good Lord deliver us.
theENIGMATRON
Server Master
Xbox Username:

Unread post Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:09 am

One thing i forgot to add, is the ability to suspend / sleep
You can resume a game like straight away.

i.e. playing Zelda and put the game console down, turn it off, go to sleep, wake up and i can just return straight away without any loading time etc.

Yer while zelda is classed as RPG, its not hard or grindy or anything, its a playthrough full of puzzels.
an what i like so much about Zelda, is there no right and wrong way.

for example, the Devs put a puzzle in the game, there may be 100 ways to solve that puzzle, or you may even find a way you don't need to.
Its just you, the console and your brain / imagination :))

Ill post more on the games as i look at them, But defo get one Daz! We can get some games on the go.

Does Mario Kart do online Multiplayer??? Now that would be fucking wicked, @Dazbobaby @InfiniteStates @SyM all in a race :))
Dazbobaby

Unread post Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:27 am

this:
theENIGMATRON
Server Master
Xbox Username:

Unread post Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:37 am

Dazbobaby wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:27 am
this:
Crnt wait for this game to be released! Played the original on gameboy way too much, and ive played it about 3/4 times on my phone as emulator
Lets not forget the size!!!
Dazbobaby

Unread post Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:53 am

Hmm, do I, don't I?
There's also some awesome games (I assume) coming for the PS4 this year.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=570

So that'll be a switch and PS4 and New York in September???
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1086
theENIGMATRON
Server Master
Xbox Username:

Unread post Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:00 am

There are titles i would no doubt love to play on the PS4. But i dont think i will bother with a PS4.
I dont have that much time apart from when Candice goes out for a night or stays over somewhere to play it.

Switch is ideal as i can litterly pick it up and put it down, so i will get more time to play it than i would on a fixed console.

But saying that, seeing how popular the switch is, Am seeing more and more and more Company's porting over AA Titles.
And its not the devs that are doing it, it seems to be a specific company thats doing a decent job.

Am not saying they will, but i expect to see more games on the PS come to switch if by popular demand.
They wont be as rich and as beautiful looking as on the console due to down scaling, but never say never!

New York Ey!!! Dream that is, would love to do it, Rember many years ago planning my solo trip out there!!
theENIGMATRON
Server Master
Xbox Username:

Unread post Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:35 am

Mushroom wars 2 daz :)))
Dazbobaby

Unread post Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:41 am

Yeah it's not that good to be honest.
theENIGMATRON
Server Master
Xbox Username:

Unread post Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:01 pm

But Daz, Look how freaking sweet this looks:
SyM
PSN Username: Symonator
Xbox Username: SymonatorUK

Unread post Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:10 am

yeah looks good a stop sign :P
InfiniteStates
Xbox Username:

Unread post Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:40 am

^LOL

You probably figured it by now Dave, but yeah, Mario Kart has a big online community

But fuck blue shells - that game can do one lol
theENIGMATRON
Server Master
Xbox Username:

Unread post Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:49 am

I have not tried the online side yet, Ive played the Mushroom 50CC cup and thats it :)