Is advertising becoming invasive? I think so...

Dazbobaby
PSN Username: dazbobaby
Xbox Username: Don Mulleano

Unread post Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:01 pm

Earlier on today I installed a copy of Corel VideoStudio from 2017.
I have a legitimate licence for it.
I installed it from a HDD backup.
I didn't go online to install it.
No big deal right?

So why is it the very first advert I see after installing it is an advert for the latest version of the software?
tracking much?
tracking much?
I mean it's not like I have a cookie that corel could read and know that I'm interested in a video editing package. Maybe they tracked a cookie from youtube, I have been comparing editors (Davinci Resolve looks like a winner TBH).
It's not the first time I've been tracked, a few weeks ago a few of us on here were talking about Nintendo and I googled the 3DS, for current pricing. The I went to CEX, not via a link, but by typing the URL into firefox... and immediately I was presented with 3DS consoles for sale.

I really am begining to dislike Corel, VideoStudio has a pop-up advert window asking if I want to buy the latest version, even if I haven't used it for a while (a day or more), and even if my browser is closed... it's will just pop-up of it's own volition, and I can't click anything to stop it.
GDPR anyone?
You exchange your time for money when you work. You can always make more money. You cannot make more time.
From Hull, from Halifax, from Hell, ‘tis thus, From all these three, Good Lord deliver us.