Drones over Gatwick

Dazbobaby
PSN Username: dazbobaby
Xbox Username: Don Mulleano

Unread post Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:20 pm

I own a drone, a DJI Phantom 3, it's not high end, but it's damned good fun to fly, takes amazing video and photo's and minus the fun factor, they are very useful tools to film makers, surveyors, architects and law enforcement. So they have a purpose besides dive bombing your dog in the back garden.

On the few occasions I've taken mine out to a public place when I was learning to fly it, (a local football and rugby pitch popular with dog walkers, it sit's right in the middle of 3 schools and it was 4:30PM so no kids around), I was approached every time buy a curious member of the public. Back then, which was less than 2 years ago, people were suspicious that they could be used to perv at people. After a couple of minutes of showing them the screen, then the wide angle view and showing them just how close you'd have to be to use it like that, they got the picture and realised it'd be useless for spying on kids/girls/boys in that way. The victim would know about it because of the noise they create and how close you'd have to be. These things are not quiet, not by any means and you'd hear it from 50 yards away unless you were stone deaf.

I really am trying in the nicest way possible to prove that for this purpose they are useless.

These people would then carry on about their business content that a drone really couldn't be used like that.

But Gatwick airport is a different case altogether, this time a drone(s) is being use to deliberately and maliciously to close the airport. Word is that it's a professional grade drone, worth thousands of pounds and very heavy, much more than mine is. This could do a lot f damage to an aircraft at take off or landing, while the aircraft is still travelling at 150mph, even more so at take off.

Once the police find the culprit or culprits then I can only assume a long prison sentence and if they have home insurance... an executive crying buckets for how much they stand to lose. But this also got me thinking, my drone can fly as far as half a mile and much further in perfect conditions before I lose contact with it.

A drone can fly this far because they use High power transceiver that create a 5ghz wi-fi signal that goes from the controller, to the drone and to the mobile devices screen, be it a phone or tablet. So it creates a wi-fi network for the 3 devices to communicate.
But what if.....

What if you had a 5ghz wi-fi booster between the controller and the drone, hell, you could use several and really extend the range as far as you like. So the initial police search might be a few hundred yards outside the perimeter fence, but even without signal boosters this is to narrow a field.
You can get mods that boost the signal further, up to double the range. But with a pre-installed wi-fi booster...? The range could be almost anywhere the pilot wants to be. Factor in an extended flight time for larger models and the search range could be dozens of square miles to search.

One thing is for sure, the law will change. But how can you narrow down a 5ghz frequency to a location, especially when Gatwick is surrounded by homes that will certainly be flooding the 5ghz spectrum?

The military could hack the signal and force control and land it, hopefully it's registered and the owner can be traced. Or shoot it down, but in a populated area... that's never gonna happen. EMP the bugger? The technology probably exists, but is if focused enough to hit a drone hundreds of yards away?

I think the genie is out of the bottle and getting it back in will be impossible, not without a major incident scaring the public into thinking these things are evil... oh wait.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... o-aircraft

This guy flew a Phantom 4 8KM, thats 5 miles and landed it on his roof.
You exchange your time for money when you work. You can always make more money. You cannot make more time.
From Hull, from Halifax, from Hell, ‘tis thus, From all these three, Good Lord deliver us.
Dazbobaby

Unread post Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:21 am

Two people are arrested for maliciously flying drones
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... of-airport
You exchange your time for money when you work. You can always make more money. You cannot make more time.
From Hull, from Halifax, from Hell, ‘tis thus, From all these three, Good Lord deliver us.
Dazbobaby

Unread post Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:31 am

Listening to Jeremy Vine yesterday, Friday 21st December, they were discussing how the drone pilots could actually be green activisits and trying to highlight the enormous damage aeroplanes do to the environment.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0001nmz