You've got to love USB-C

Dazbobaby
PSN Username: dazbobaby
Xbox Username: Don Mulleano

Unread post Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:32 pm

It's slowly becoming the default port of choice, not only is it REALLY REALLY fast (10gigabits or roughly 1000-1200megabytes per second), twice as fast as USB 3, it can carry enough power to use and charge a laptop and at the same time, that one cable can also work as a display cable for connecting a laptop or even a desktop to a monitor.

My last mobo now 3 years old, has USB C but I never used it, I didn't have any devices that could use it, not until I bought a GoPro Hero 5 or is it 6? And only then when I needed to transfer the files across or charge the gopro.

Then I bought a monitor that supports USB-C and for shits and giggles I plugged in into my new RTX 2070. My new Mobo doesn't have USB-C but my GPU does. Technically the mobo does have it, but it's a header only.

So I also connected a spare 250GB SSD (I still have one spare SSD... I mean how many SSD's does a guy need? In total I have 4 x M.2 and 6 x 2.5 inch of various sizes). It was connected to the monitor via USB 3, the USB-C goes to my GPU and the drive just worked. It was right there in my computer working just fine, I mean talk about a round-about way.

SSD to monitor, monitor to GPU, GPU to PC.

One day USB-C will be as ubiquitous as USB 1, 2, and 3 is today... but that day can't come soon enough
:)
You exchange your time for money when you work. You can always make more money. You cannot make more time.
From Hull, from Halifax, from Hell, ‘tis thus, From all these three, Good Lord deliver us.