Pop! OS

Dazbobaby
PSN Username: dazbobaby
Xbox Username: Don Mulleano

Unread post Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:16 pm

I'm taking a look at Pop! OS for one simple reason... it support Nvidia display drivers so therefore it's better at gaming.

Also its pretty damned good. I'm going to take an in-depth look at DirectX installs and seeing if I can get games working that flat-out refuse to work in Linux. Apparently there has been some big improvements in the past few months, and most games get be made to work with only minor FPS penalties.

I'm currently using Pop! OS and firefox to make this post, while listening to my iTunes library in Audacious.
Screenshot from 2019-10-21 20-17-56.png
You exchange your time for money when you work. You can always make more money. You cannot make more time.
From Hull, from Halifax, from Hell, ‘tis thus, From all these three, Good Lord deliver us.
Dazbobaby

Unread post Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:07 pm

You exchange your time for money when you work. You can always make more money. You cannot make more time.
From Hull, from Halifax, from Hell, ‘tis thus, From all these three, Good Lord deliver us.
Dazbobaby

Unread post Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:56 am

Well I've just played Astroneer on Linux, and it's only for Windows.
To get it working you need to install Proton on Steam.

To get proton working, install steam, got to steam settings, steam play and enable steam play for all other titles.
Done.

Now install what you want.
Screenshot from 2019-10-22 10-12-17.png
Screenshot from 2019-10-22 10-12-17.png (52.85 KiB) Viewed 878 times
Dazbobaby

Unread post Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:58 am

To install Steam on debian.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install steam
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik ... nder_Linux

On Pop! OS, go to the store called Pop! Shop, search for steam. Install.
Done.
Dazbobaby

Unread post Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:00 am

I've got to say I'm loving Pop! OS so much, I'm about to make an image of my windows system, then I'm going to install Pop! OS to my windows drive (SSD) and start fresh.
I'm bloody loving it.
theENIGMATRON
Server Master
Xbox Username:

Unread post Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:03 pm

Its nice to see Vulkan is in there by default. We are moving away from OpenGL with Hardware accelleration API's but its not often i see this used by default and OpenGL seems to be still favoured as a default. So this is setting this ahead of others.
Its Debian based, So anything that works on Debian i.e. Ubuntu will work on this operating system.

From a quick read, Pop oOS uses all the official repo, So you could essentially download the CORE and build this up to the way you want (Making your own Pop OS) A lot of work and tweaking involved to do so. But a nice project at the least.

Its not often i see Operating systems offer this, and this is why i have always favoured Arch Linux to any distro. As it comes in at a wooping 200mb (For the core ONLY) and you install and build the OS you want.
Arch has been more for development and production, So drivers for Nvidia and such have always been a hard job to get working properly. Normally often results in compiling your own kernel and Graphic drivers.

Its something ive not heard of until you have mentioned it on here, an its something ill defiantly have a look at next time am downloading a Linux Distro
Dazbobaby

Unread post Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:46 pm

Yeah the drivers are just that, drivers, there are a lot of nvidia extras missing from it, things like screenshots and screen video recorder, also missing is CUDA supports, so no fast video encoding either :(
But yeah it's a giant leap forward.

I think I'll have to keep windows :( just for nvidia's video capture.

There are 2 versions of Pop! OS, one is basic, the other is the proprietary Nvidia driver. Both are free though.
theENIGMATRON
Server Master
Xbox Username:

Unread post Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:44 pm

Dazbobaby wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:46 pm
Yeah the drivers are just that, drivers, there are a lot of nvidia extras missing from it, things like screenshots and screen video recorder, also missing is CUDA supports, so no fast video encoding either :(
But yeah it's a giant leap forward.

I think I'll have to keep windows :( just for nvidia's video capture.

There are 2 versions of Pop! OS, one is basic, the other is the proprietary Nvidia driver. Both are free though.
Dual boot with your Default OS going to windows. GIve it a 10-15 second timer.
Gives you the choice to boot into POP Os on your main PC then too.

I often have a USB 3 SSD with linux installed i decide to boot from when i need to recover / access potentially infected files.
That way i Havant even had to edit my boot configuration.
Dazbobaby

Unread post Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:34 pm

theENIGMATRON wrote: I often have a USB 3 SSD with linux installed i decide to boot from when i need to recover / access potentially infected files.
That way i Havant even had to edit my boot configuration.
That's just what I'm doing.
Insert USB SSD, reboot and 30 seconds later I'm in Pop! OS My BIOS is set t boot from USB first, so I don't have to touch a thing after that.

https://system76.com/pop
Dazbobaby

Unread post Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:28 pm

I've swapped from a 120GB SUB 3 SSD to 250GB NVME SSD on USB-C.
Dazbobaby

Unread post Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:55 pm

Can you recommend a good email app Dave?
Dazbobaby

Unread post Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:36 pm

The new Steam beta works too
Steam Beta on Linux.png