New forums

Dazbobaby
PSN Username: dazbobaby
Xbox Username: Don Mulleano

Unread post Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:47 am

Dave setup the forum on an old unused dedicated server he found lurking around on various closed accounts. It was in a data centre somewhere, no one was using it, and no one was paying for it, it had been left on for over 12 months, so why the hell not put it to good use.
So Dave got things setup, I tweaked all the forums and settings while Dave did the erm.. back end stuff.

Then yesterday morning it disappeared, no response, the IP just died.

It seems that either the data centre noticed the increased traffic and shut it down, or they were in the process of an audit and shut it down... either way, it's gone.

That said I do have a spare High end PC. I'd just upgraded my old Intel 6600k with a new AMD 2700x, New motherboard and RAM. I also have a shed load of spare SSD's. 1x60GB 2x120GB 1x240GB and a 500GB, all used for various deleted projects in the past and were no longer in use.
So we now have a VERY good server with a lot of RAM (16GB), plenty of VERY fast storage, and one hell of a processor, sure it's only a quad core and not a ridiculous 32core Xeon, but it runs at double the speed @3.9GHZ, it's also water cooled with a 280mm radiator.

Dave and I set to work again yesterday and here the forum is again...
You exchange your time for money when you work. You can always make more money. You cannot make more time.
From Hull, from Halifax, from Hell, ‘tis thus, From all these three, Good Lord deliver us.
theENIGMATRON
Server Master
Xbox Username:

Unread post Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Still no response from the server I was using... decently must of been taken down.
May of gone unnoticed from the no traffic, and since a flood of traffic, it was inspected and noticed it wasn't support to be online.
Oh well, Thought it was too good to be true

94.136.36.29 of the old server.
Dazbobaby
PSN Username: dazbobaby
Xbox Username: Don Mulleano

Unread post Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:32 pm

Now it's on the 500GB SSD and this machine, it's like lightning.
Even though I'm sending data out, only for it to come back, I am uploading to it at a full 2MB/s, though if I could access it locally I'm sure I could get uploads running at 140MB/s. It's still impressive.
You exchange your time for money when you work. You can always make more money. You cannot make more time.
From Hull, from Halifax, from Hell, ‘tis thus, From all these three, Good Lord deliver us.